Tuesday, May 18, 2010
I'm always on the lookout for new recipes for veggie burgers. This week I saw this recipe on the Martha Show and it look pretty good...it also help that Chevy Chase was making it.
Spicy Lentil-Walnut Burgers
* 3/4 cup toasted walnuts
* 1/3 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
* 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
* 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 2 teaspoons ground coriander
* 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
* 3/4 cup lentils, cooked, drained, and cooled
* 1/4 cup grated onion
* 4 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 large egg
* 4 large pitas
* Yogurt-Cilantro Sauce, for serving
* Sliced avocado, for serving
* Cherry tomatoes, halved, for serving
1. In the bowl of a food processor, combine walnuts, breadcrumbs, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; process until finely ground. Add lentils, onion, and 1 tablespoon oil; pulse until coarsely chopped (some lentils should remain whole).
2. In a large bowl, whisk egg. Add lentil mixture; mix until well combined. Divide into quarters; roll into balls, and flatten with the palm of your hands into 3/4-inch-thick patties.
3. Heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add burgers; cook, turning once, over medium-low heat until crisp and browned, 8 to 10 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Serve burgers in pitas with sauce, avocado, and cherry tomatoes.
image via: martha stewart