During the weekend I saw one of the most decadent desserts ever made in television with a scandalous name: Slut Raspberries in Chardonnay Jelly! made from the Queen of Food Porn, Nigella Lawson. Although this dessert its luxury at its best to my surprise its quite simple to make. Here is the recipe:
1 bottle good fruity chardonnay
11 oz raspberries
1 vanilla bean (split lengthwise)
10 gelatine leaves (16g)
9 oz superfine sugar
heavy cream (to serve)
- Place the wine and berries in a bowl and allow to steep for half an hour. Strain the wine into a saucepan and keep the raspberries to one side. Heat the wine with the vanilla bean until nearly boiling and leave to steep on one side for 15 minutes.
- Soak the gelatine leaves - which you can find in the supermarket these days - in cold water for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, after removing the vanilla bean, reheat the wine and stir in the sugar until it dissolves; allow to boil if you want to lose the alcohol.
- Add a third of the hot wine to the wrung-out gelatine leaves in a measuring jug and stir to dissolve, then add this mixture back into the rest of the wine and stir well. Strain into a large jug.
- Place the raspberries, equally, into six flattish, clear glass serving bowls, and pour the strained wine over the top.
- Allow to set in the fridge for at least 3 hours, though a day would be fine if you want to make this well ahead, and take out of the fridge 15 minutes before serving.
image & recipe via: nigella